Custom Application Development- Do we need it?
Author : Donald Patton Hunnicut
Custom application development redefines how a business operates. You are likely losing money with the slow and ineffective software that you got out of a box. You need something that is customized just for your business, and you can enhance your company’s performance once you have any number of custom applications built. There are a few items below that explain how custom application development work. If you are wishing that your business had something unique to use for your daily work, there is a solution.
What sort of application are you building? Decide what you are looking for first. Do you need a website application that is hosted on your website? Do you need a mobile app that your customers can use, or do you need an enterprise app that your employees use?
Also, you might want custom software that is used on the computers in your office to streamline your operations. Perhaps you need all these things, and that is why you need to start thinking about the big picture of what your company does.
What Are The Benefits Of Customized Software?
Customized software addresses your issues instead of working around them. When you buy something out of the box, you are only going to use the parts of that program that help you. You have to work around all the other parts of the software that are not that useful. Because of this, you may not even use half of what that software suite offers.
Customized software allows you to do all the following things:
1. You Can Invent Something Special—your company can build something special that solves your problems and your problems alone. You can finally solve a problem that your company has always had, and you do not need to worry about missing out on a few processes that you did not get with boxed software.
You are no longer spending money on software made by a company that does not care about you. Plus, you will get personalized customer service for the software.
2. You Can Innovate—you can use the software to change the way people in your industry handle certain issues. You know what the biggest problems are when you come to work every day. You can build innovative software that your competition will be jealous of. When they ask you how you manage a certain problem, you can tell them custom software does it all for you. You are instantly ahead of the industry, and you will save money as a result of your innovation.
A company that is innovating through customized software can turn their ideas into reality. You no longer need to work around some other company’s software.
3. You Can Make Something Compatible With What Your Business Does—some companies can never find software that works with what their business does. If you have been forcing a boxed software program to do things that it was not meant to do, you will have malfunctions that are unavoidable. Instead of forcing an old program to help your company, you can have software made that is completely compatible with what your company does.
You can even use the exact industry jargon that is required, put the name of your company on the software, and automate functions that you simply do not have time to complete on your own.
For example, a CRM (customer relationship management) platform made for your company can send emails to customers, load information from request forms, and update custom addresses in seconds. You no longer need to manage each customer’s portfolio because the software is doing the job for you. All the time you spent on this job can be spent doing something you feel is more important.
4. You Can Adapt The Software As Needed—when you have started using the software, you can ask to change the way the software works. You may find that it would be much more beneficial if it did things a little bit differently than the way it was built. You can ask to change any part of the program, and you can test the changes until you are happy with the results.
Adapting the software allows you to change course in seconds. You do not need to shut down your operations for days at a time while you decide what to do next. A process that used to last days can last a few hours.
5. The Software Is Exclusive—no one else in your industry has this software. You can get ahead of the rest of your industry because you are using something that no one else could possibly conceive of. Sure, other companies might try to innovate, but do they have custom software that automates much of what they do?
Exclusivity gives you a lot of value that you do not get from a traditional software company. The money you have spent has your stamp on it.
6. The Software Is Cost-Effective—a traditional software company might charge you thousands of dollars just to buy software that is not customized for your business. You will be forced to spend more money every month to get service on the software, and service for your software could end at any time. In fact, the company can take the license away from you and force you to buy it again.
When you have custom software made for your company, you can upgrade and update for as long as you like. Plus, you always get service if you have problems with the program. In addition to that, you can change the way you use the software at any time. Imagine buying software from a traditional software company that you want to change. You will be forced to buy something completely new. You might even be forced to pay for your license again.
When you work with a custom developer, you pay for the software once.
Why Do You Need Customized Software?
You need customized software for all the reasons above. Customized software will help reduce your frustration on the job. Customized software is easy to teach to your staff, and the software is installed on your behalf. Customized software offers customer service that you need, and you have a voice during the development process.
Your company’s operations can be streamlined and improved using custom software, and your company will save money because it does not waste time on tedious work that is now handled by your software.
A mobile app for your company makes shopping much easier for your customers. You do not want to simply replicate your mobile app. You can create a shopping paradise that allows your customers to make impulse purchases. Plus, a mobile app is much easier to see on your screen than a URL you need to type into the address bar.
Is Customized Software Budget Friendly?
Custom software is budget-friendly because you pay for it once. The software is built, and it cannot be taken away from you. You will never lose your customer support, and that the software could become the face of your company. Anyone who works for you will get to know the software better than anything else in the office. Once you have paid for the software, you can use it for as long as you want.
If you buy boxed software, it could expire at any time, it could become outdated overnight, and it may not even offer the customer support you need. Plus, you are losing money because boxed software is less efficient than custom software.
What Could Be The Cost Of Customized Software?
If you begin searching different developers, you will see a broad range of prices. The average cost of custom software could be between $25,000 and $250,000. Of course, the scope of your business determines how much money you have to spend.
The price of a mobile app tends to range from $15,000 to $150,000 depending on how much the app should do. By contrast, a website application costs between $5,000 and $50,000.
You can weigh the price of the software against the amount of money you will save or earn when using that software. If you save $20,000 a month by using a customized CRM, the software will pay for itself. If you spend $50,000 on a mobile app, you may sell $50,000 more in the next few months. Again, the app has paid for itself.
Can We Modify The Software For Future Needs?
Yes. Any and all custom software programs can be modified at any time. The software is considered open source because you bought it from the people who made it. If you need to make a drastic change, all you need to do is ask. Because you own the software, it should adjust to meet your needs. We do all this and much more if you would like custom software built for your company. If you need all the things that are listed above, you need a new program that matches your business’s needs and work environment.